This is a fun, matter-of-fact top ten list for understanding why blogging is the real deal. I first saw Hugh MacLeod’s work when Robert Scoble used Hughs cartoons during a PodTech breakfast presentation in Palo Alto in 2006. Robert’s slide were mostly Hugh cartoons with hardly any text by Scoble. The visual and the conversation mixed to make an inspiring impact that morning.
Here are some hightlights:
Blogs allow you to cheaply and quickly begin a smarter conversation. And once you get it going, that conversation starts bleeding out into all other areas of your business- including advertising, PR and corporate communications.
1. I’m not here to tell you about your business.
2. To me, The Cluetrain is the most important book about the internet ever written
3. Nobody cares about you4. You’ve already done “efficient”
5. The growth will come, I believe, not by yet more increased efficiencies, but by humanification
6. If corporate blogs work, it’s because they help humanify the company
7. Blogging is not about reaching a mass audience. Blogging is not about creating yet another sales channel. Blogging is about allowing “The Smarter Conversation” to happen.
8. Having a “Smarter Conversation” is not an intellectual decision. It’s a moral decision
9. Just because the conversation started out smart, doesn’t mean it stayed that way
10. A fairly comprehensive list of corporate blogs
11. Blogs are very culturally disruptive- more so than people realize.
12. “Conversation” is just a metaphor. Then again, no it’s not.
13. Here are some links to give you some food for thought:
The linkback: http://www.gapingvoid.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/3165