Well I’m just another guy in tech — my day job draws me inside Intel and the rest of my life, family and beyond is more an more tech infused every day.
I wasn’t my first choice when hi5’s Adriana Gascoigne asked if Intel could participate in the Girls in Tech DevForum 2008. Inside Intel there are tons of talented girls in tech…and most everyone I reached out to just couldn’t make it to San Francisco on November 19th.
As fate would have it, I was was fortunate to be on a panel with some talented and good humored rising tech stars who shared their insights with a room full of women entrepenauers and even a group of tech guys, especially the vocal group visiting from across the pond.
I brought my camera (surprise!) and was able to set it up on a tripod then slip in front of the camera to join the other panelist. I enjoyed how everyone kept their storytelling light and anecodotal with just enought geek speak to keep it real and substantial.
The panel was moderated by Paul Linder, hi5.
The panel featured:
- Charles Ying, Pixverse, hi5
- Adora Cheung, Slide
- Lilia Martinez-Coburn, hi5 Mobile and her blog MobileBuzz
- Maya Baratz, Mochi Media
- and me, Ken Kaplan, Intel
Adriana is a wonderful, classy host. I’ve seen her host many gatherings — inside clubs as well as conference rooms.
I did get to meet up with the creative team behind the cool VortexMe widgets, which we created for our Intel Insiders social media advisors.
Regrettably I could only stay for the first part of the day — I’m playing Mr. Mom these days — but here’s rest of the agenda that I missed:
- It’s an OpenSocial Generation; learn more about the platform framework, benefits, and analytics: Raymond Chan, Architect, RockYou
The Power of the Social Web: Ami Vora, Sandra Liu Huang Product Managers, Facebook
- DSLs: One of the Hottest Trends in Software: How to Use it For Your Business: Anda Ambrovici, ThoughtWorks
- Building Applications Based on User Behaviors/Interests: Holly Liu, Product Manager, Watercooler
- Beyond Maps: The Future of the Geo-Web: Brittany Bohnet, Product Marketing, Google
- How to Develop, Market and Monetize Widgets: Jeff Whitehead, Gina Satomi, VortexMe, RealTimeMatrix
- GLAM product launch announcement with Sasha Cagen, Product Engineer, GLAM
- Cocktail mixer and apps, sponsored by ThoughtWorks